|August 30, 2020|
Bacon Protects Pre-Existing Conditions
As our country continues to combat the coronavirus, I want to reassure you I am working hard in Congress during this global pandemic by supporting vital health care legislation that protects all Americans living with pre-existing conditions.
Protecting those with pre-existing coverage is important to me, which is why I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 692 - Pre-existing Conditions Protections Act of 2019. This bill prohibits application of pre-existing condition exclusions and guarantees availability of health insurance coverage in both the individual and group market. It also bans premium ratings based on an individual's health status.
I chose to support H.R. 692 over H.R. 986 – Protecting Americans with Pre-existing Conditions Act because H.R. 986 misleads the American people into thinking it actually protects individuals, but it does the exact opposite. It revokes an October 2018 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service guidance to the Obama Era Section 1332 State Innovation Waivers. The purpose of this guidance was to allow states with greater flexibility to apply for waivers that provide residents with access to high quality, affordable health insurance coverage. However, these waivers cannot undermine the coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and limit states from establishing health care plans tailored to the patient’s specific needs.
Not every American has the same pre-existing conditions and health care is about more than lowering costs. It’s about pushing for preventative care, promoting healthy living choices, and giving Americans the right to choose the health care plan that is best suited for their individual needs.
Today, 71 percent of Americans like their health care plans. We need to make improvements for the remaining 29 percent. To do this, we must work across the aisle and fight for legislation that lowers costs and pushes for more cures; not throw the baby out with the bath water. Socialized medicine and government run plans, result in a “one-size fits all” approach, which will not only bankrupt our government by costing nearly $32 trillion, but will lead to long wait times and low-quality health services.
That is why I cosponsored H.R. 19 – Lower Costs, More Cures Act which encourages innovation of groundbreaking new cures, promotes more low-cost options for patients, and curbs the gaming of the system by drug companies. In fact, for the first time ever, this bill will place a cap on seniors’ out-of-pocket drug costs and allows seniors to manage their annual out-of-pocket spending. It also makes insulin more affordable and cuts the cost of drug administration nearly in half, including cancer treatment for Medicare beneficiaries.
When it comes to receiving affordable, high quality health care and coverage, H.R. 692 and H.R. 19 are the best solutions for the American people. I will continue to support policies that allow more association pools and provide more health care plans for our citizens. I will also fight for equal treatment of mental health conditions and substance use disorders in health insurance plans.
Keeping you and your family safe and healthy is one of my top priorities. America is strong and resilient, and we will bounce back from this pandemic, becoming stronger than ever before.
My office has a webpage strictly dedicated to providing a list of federal resources and information regarding the coronavirus. You can view it here.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please call my office at (402) 938-0300 or visit my Congressional website at https://bacon.house.gov.
Don Bacon, Member of Congress
|Visit bacon.house.gov for more information|