There are five military service academies in the United States. Through Congressman Bacon's office, you can apply for a nomination to four of the academies (the Coast Guard Academy does not require congressional nominations). You begin the application process by contacting the academies you wish to attend and starting a pre-candidate file with them. The academies are:
The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment. Rep. Bacon may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to Nebraska's 2nd Congressional district.
PLEASE NOTE: The application period for the 2018-2019 academic year is now closed.
The nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated. Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
Service Academy Qualifying Factors
- Age: Must be at least 17 but not yet 22 years of age.
- Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Marital Status: Must not be married, pregnant or have legal obligation to support a child.
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 2nd Congressional District of Nebraska.
- Skill/Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. All applicants should review these Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination before applying.
Academy Admission Offices
Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80840-5651
Phone: (719) 472-2520
West Point Military Academy
Admissions Office Building
606 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996-1797
Phone: (914) 938-4041
USNA Admissions Office
117 Decatur Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5019
Phone: (410) 293-4361
Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY 11024-1699
Phone: (516) 773-5391
Coast Guard Academy
31 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320
Phone: (800) 833-8724
To request a Military Academy Nomination from Rep. Bacon, please fill out and submit the form below along with the following materials:
- Current photo
- Official high school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities and leadership responsibilities
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation.
Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.